Burglaries traditionally increase in Somerville during the summer months; residents stay out later, go on vacation, or leave their windows open during the day. Below are a few tips to prevent your home from being victimized:
1. Windows are more popular targets in the summer, as the plastic comes off & windows are left open for ventilation.
A. To protect your windows, lock them AND use wooden dowels to secure the window OR use horizontal bars or through the frame nails to prevent the window from being fully opened;
B. Never count on a screen or plastic tabs to deter a determined offender. Even regular locks can be defeated from the outside.
C. An air conditioning unit is the same as leaving a window open; reinforce these windows with dowels, or place them in windows that can't be accessed from the ground or a porch.
2. Assume that professional thieves are constantly looking for unoccupied homes to burglarize, usually from noon to midnight. If you are not home for a short period in the evening, consider leaving a light or electronic device on to give the appearance of occupancy.
3. Do not leave lawn furniture or other objects out that burglars could use to reach a 1st floor window.
Mark Your Property
1. Portable electronics are the most targeted item in burglaries. Register your electronics through the City's WRAP program (www.somervillema.gov/wrap-information) or acquire tracking software for your laptop, tablet or smart phone.
2. Consider giving your property unique markings (such as an engraving).
3. Photograph unique items (such as jewelry) to aid in identification & recovery.
1. If you leave for an extended period, ask your neighbors or a friend to watch your house; have them deliver mail or leave their car in the driveway.
2. If you see a suspicious person entering multiple backyards or driveways, or a person or vehicle "casing" an area, do not hesitate to call the police.
3. Call the police IMMEDIATELY if your house has been burglarized; the burglar may still be in the area.
Long Term Solutions
1. Consider adding external cameras or a dedicated security system to your residence; burglars usually give such homes a pass, or they are more likely to be caught through video evidence.
2. Make the sides of your house more visible from the street; trim overgrown bushes/hedges & remove other obstacles.